Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Someone's in the kitchen

Popsaroo and BubbaLou were in the kitchen again. This time they didn't steal my new cookie sheets for home base. This time they were cooking. Or, at least, attempting to cook. No, maybe they were really melting, trying to melt caramels. Notice that I wrote trying. He had found the sack of caramels that were left over from the caramel apple night a few months ago and suddenly thought he was Ronald McDonald. McDonald's is there for a reason Popsaroo!

I got a call on my way home from work, it was Popsaroo warning me that he had been trying to make apple dippers for BubbaLou. He told me that he sorta burned some caramel in one of my little dishes. I was in the midst of driving into a bit of traffic so I said, "Okay, it's all right." I hung up and worked my way through the construction and traffic.

I got home and found a ramekin dish covered in dried caramel. This isn't so bad I thought, a little soak and this will be good as new. It was at that moment that BubbaLou came into the kitchen telling me that "Popsaroo ruined one of your dishes! He burned the caramels when he was trying to make me apple dippers. Let me show you." So she turns around and went out into the GARAGE, and came back in with a ramekin dish with what looked like a piece of lava attached to it. Burned was an understatement. I grabbed a knife, and just about bent it. I decided that to go on chipping away would only leave me with a dull or bent knife and possibly a missing appendage.


It is only a ramekin dish, I guess the easy thing to do would have been to throw it away. But you see, it came from a yard sale, it was a bargain-I got 3 for 1.50, and I like the stupid little thing-so many uses. I was determined to save it. A large squirt of dish washer detergent and hot water with a three day soak worked. I didn't even have to scrub, it just slid right out. I didn't even have to ask Heloise!

0 comments from my readers: