Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Favorites

When Popsaroo and I first got married, I decided that I was going to make some ornaments for our tree. I can not tell you how I threw myself into this. I had been cross-stitching during the winter we were married, but do you know that although I finished them, I never made them into an ornament. They are still at the bottom of my cross-stitching basket-safe and sound. I have good intentions.

The ornaments that I did finish, were the ones that I painted. They have been put on our tree every year since. I have several favorites from that group that I painted. A gingerbread house, a sleepy mouse in a cup, and a church with a red door. The gingerbread house takes me back to Hansel and Gretel. I loved that tale as a child and every time I see a gingerbread house, I have to think of them pulling treats off the witch's house to fill their hungry tummies. This mouse was probably my first Christmas mouse of my very own. Mum's had made several mice for the tree while I was growing up- I always loved Christmas mice. I think churches can be so beautiful at Christmas-and even though my church doesn't have a red door, I love the vesper service on Christmas Eve.

I just love unwrapping these ornaments every year, ahhh...memories. This year, BubbaLou has been more interested in the ones that I made and the ones that Mums made. It is always fun when BubbaLou actually wants to listen for the answer and hear about our traditions of Christmas.

Mum's ornaments will be the next post. Mums let me raid the ornament box at her house and I brought home some of my all time favorites from my childhood.

Last year, BubbaLou and I made snow flakes. We wrote prayer requests on them last year. We placed them on a piece of red yarn and strung them around the tree. I really love the snowflakes and the memories of the prayers that we said. We checked the names twice to make sure everyone was accounted for this year and celebrated those prayers that had been answered.

I have also had silver bells hanging on the tree for many years. They are the inexpensive ones, but I sure like to see them on the tree. The carol silver bells always runs through my head when I untangle them and put them on the tree.
Silver bells, silver bells
it's Christmas time in the city
ring-a-ling, hear them ring
soon it will be Christmas day!
City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
dressed in holiday style
in the air there's a feeling of Christmas!

Children laughing, people passing
meeting smile after smile
and on every street corner you'll hear . . .
Silver bells ( silver bells! ) silver bells
( silver bells! )it's Christmas time in the city
ring-a-ling ( ring-a-ling! ) hear them ring
( hear them ring!! )soon it will be Christmas day!
~Silver Bells Carol

0 comments from my readers: