Monday, December 22, 2008

I'll be home for Christmas

I have fond memories of putting up the Christmas tree with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Santa had the uncanny patience to put up the tree and string the lights perfectly, winding them around each limb so that you could barely see the cords. To this day, I have not figured out how he did it.

He also had the talent that only elves and Santa have, he could string the lights back into the box perfectly when Christmas was over. He enjoyed it. I on the other hand do well to get them off the tree and throw them in a plastic sack until next year.

Mrs. Claus and I would then decorate the tree. The ornaments were packed safely away in boxes. Each year, we would pick each one up and place it on the tree while talking and laughing together about this or that. The elf below is one from that time so long ago. He still is shiny and bright and looking towards Christmas with happiness. The moose is one that I painted after Popsaroo and I got married. The penguin is one of two, part of a wooden collection of Noah's animals given to me by my Mums-in-law.

This is one of Mum's ornaments that she painted. She was painting lots of pictures on canvas during this time and took her talent to Christmas balls. Unfortunately, this is all I have left of this ornament. BubbaLou accidentally knocked this one off the tree and it shattered. This has been the Christmas of broken ornaments, and Erith Sappy hasn't fallen over once like Fat Charley.


Mum's also painted these Christmas mice. I love Christmas mice. The goose is one that I painted, and the lamb is one of my collection.( I collected sheep once upon a time-but my pasture is full.)
I placed tinsel on the tree this year too. Santa would keep the tinsel packed away very neat and tidy each year, he treated each piece with respect. He must of used the same pack for over a decade.
Memories of my Santa are sweet and dear to Mrs. Claus and me.


0 comments from my readers: