Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friends are Friends

My memories have been working on overtime the last few days. I was invited to join Facebook by a friend from church, I thought, why not? I will give it a whirl. So, I joined, and have been tripping over people who I lost contact with 20 years ago. Okay, 21 years ago. I feel really old sometimes!

I found myself smiling as I found each person, because I had missed them. You share such big chunk of your life with people as a child(especially when you are an only child) and into your teen years, and then you grow up and move away. These friends were your support system, and all of a sudden they are far, far away.

When I went off to college, I didn't go to far. I could always be home in about an hour. I didn't even notice that I missed anyone at first, I was too busy making my place on campus. All is new, and I didn't even realize that I was in a new world without all my friends who had similar values. I got married, move 800 miles away, and then I noticed. Ooops, where did everyone go?

I had such a hard time acclimating to Florida when I first moved here 18 1/2 years ago after marrying the love of my life, Popsaroo. I had him, but I was missing my support system of my friends from youth group and school. I had a hard time finding a church family because, they weren't the ones from Nashville. You don't just make those types of friendships as adults, at least, if you do, they are rare.

So, joy! I have touched base with several friends that I had lost all contact with. Their smiling faces have really soothed the edges of my stressful life lately. So thanks friends, I have missed you and am so glad to have a little slice of you back in my life!

Count your age with friends but not with years - Anonymous
Packing up the dreams God planted
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone'
Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them ~Michael W. Smith

5 comments from my readers:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling! I went to church today and found out that several of my HS acquaintences have come to know the Lord and there was a sweetness in the time that has passed in the unexpected ways God has allowed our paths to cross again

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping and taking the time to share your thoughts on my blog... you are so right: to be connected to Jesus is the answer!

Anonymous said...

my mom (who is not an animal lover at all) always worries that he thinks he is a dog... these photos are not helping my case!:)

Anonymous said...

ahh! i know! what AM I going to do with him?

Anonymous said...

missing your blogs...