Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It is all in the way you say it

Don't you just love it when a book makes you laugh? I do. I also love the language and the accents that the author gives the characters. I love Irish, Scottish, and English accents. I actually sound pretty good in mind, but when I open my mouth, a southern drawl with a sick lilt comes out. I am only good at a few words and that is reaching.

Popsaroo and BubbaLou are pretty good at obnoxious English accents. We really like to play around with phrases like, "You are sooooo boorish." We call the dog, "Duke Swirly Butt" or "Lord Thomas". We use words like "peasant" and "oaf" and can even be proper when we say "me lady."

So I let out a chuckle when I was reading my current book Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn. It is a historical who-done-it. I just love those! Anyhoo, the main character is named Lady Julia and she is sniffing out a crime with a fellow named Mr. Nicholas Brisbane. She is irritated with Mr. Brisbane and she says, "Brisbane, you are being churlish."
Isn't that great? Churlish, another name we can use for boorish or rude. You can't even say the word churlish unless you say it with an English accent!

How does it sound?

"Popsaroo, you are being churlish." or how about, "BubbaLou, you are being soooo churlish."

I can't wait to use it!

0 comments from my readers: