Thursday, December 27, 2007

I miss my Santa

I have been missing my Santa this Christmas. It took me by surprise. Memories have flooded over me the last week and I realized that my Santa is gone. I have felt like the little girl that wrote Santa she would have a blue Christmas without him in the movie, The Year Without a Santa Claus. I have really identified with that tear that wells up in her eye and falls hitting the letter that she is writing to Santa as she sings I'll have a Blue Christmas without you.

My Santa loved Christmas. He would always be smiling and happy with a wonderful laugh when Christmas came around. I can never remember one Bah Humbug from my Santa.

My Santa and Mrs. Claus would always pick an angel off the Christmas tree at the mall. Santa would look for all sorts of things to place in the gift box; clothes, toys, books, always a Bible.

He loved to get ready for Christmas by trimming the tree. Some years we had artificial trees and other years we had real trees and my Santa always made it fun. He would string the lights ever so carefully and then let Mrs. Claus and me put on the ornaments. Then he would bring out the tinsel. You could not just throw tinsel on, it would be placed on one piece at a time. The tree would be beautiful and we had such good times trimming our tree. My Santa even brought home an ornament that you could plug in and it would chirp like a bird in the tree. It was almost a contest to see how long we could leave it on before it got on every one's nerves. Even when Christmas was over, he had nerves of steel and actually enjoyed taking the lights off the tree and placing them back in the cardboard box just like they came from the factory!

My Santa shaped Christmas for me, in ways I am only beginning to realize. My Santa spent hours teaching me how to wrap gifts as we watched Christmas shows on t.v. He was very meticulous on cutting and taping and placing bows and name tags. Mrs. Claus says they could actually go around the world and still look perfect. I love to be able to take the time to wrap a gift Santa's way. My favorite time to do it is while watching Christmas t.v. shows like Rudolph, all the Santa movies, and my Santa's favorite- Charlie Brown.

My Santa loved to spend time with friends and family. He would work on invitations for hours and invite the people that he worked with over every year for a huge breakfast. He loved it! He would send them home with recipes that he and Mrs. Claus had made for the occasion. He had a special spice tea recipe that he mixed every year. I think, maybe, I should try to find it.

Mr. and Mrs. Claus would always go to the Sunday School Christmas party and I would always tag along. Santa taught Sunday School for years and years. He loved being around the people in his class and always looked forward to spending holiday time with them. A white elephant gift was always involved and Santa could be very devious. I always had such a good time at these parties and I was often the only kid.

My Santa was from a huge family and they would always have a Christmas Eve party. We would travel to my grandmother's or aunt's house with the car packed with gifts and food. I could hardly wait to get there, and when we did, we would crowd into the house with children scampering around, excitement in their faces as they got to see their cousins and awaited the gift opening ceremony. The adults laughed and talked and enjoyed each other. It was always a joyous occasion with tons of food and gifts! It was hard to leave, but Santa had to get home with a full night ahead of him.

My Santa always left great gifts. He always picked out great gifts-he was Santa! He left my stocking filled with nuts, oranges, toys, and a huge peppermint stick. I love peppermint! I couldn't wait to break it with the hammer. Santa left me notes. I remember the note he left me when we had put maraschino cherries out for Rudolph. Rudolph loved them and they helped his nose glow!

Santa would take me to Christmas music at church. He sang in the choir for several years and later he did the sound. Most importantly, he told me about the true reason for Christmas. He told me about the baby Jesus, the Christ child born in Bethlehem. He showed me with his actions what Jesus' birthday was about. He worshiped the Christ child and lived his life spreading happiness and joy.

As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.
Proverbs 27:19


3 comments from my readers:

SweetAnnee said...

Hi Carmen
Your blog is a treat
I'll be visiting more!!
I am also sending you
paper partridge ornaments
you won from
Creative Call Studios.com
Expect them soon
fondly, and Happy New Year..
deena

Anonymous said...

Hi Pinky Lee,I loved your Santa memories. However,I can hardly see as I type this. Yes,our family was special. We were taught to cherish Christmas ans all the memories that go along with it. There are many things worse than growing up in a big,family with country roots. Santa is still fresh in my mind. I can hear his laugh and see his smile. And he was meticulous when it came to gift wrapping or anything else. Your blog is wonderful. Thanks for the memories. Love,Aunt Dot

Anonymous said...

Hey Carm,
I just read your Santa memories. Your blog brought back many sweet memories. I remember your Santa's wrapping, and I still miss going to Mama and Daddy Morrison's Christmas Eve.


Stay warm :)
Amy