Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fat Charley isn't fat, he is fluffy!

Fachrist

Fat Charley fell over again! I stumbled out of bed this morning, stepped over the dog sleeping in the middle of the hallway, and made my way to the little girls room about 4am. I heard a huge crash and the sound of ornaments breaking as I rushed in the living room with the dog right behind me. Fat Charley was in the floor and water was reaching to the far corners quickly. I made a mad dash to stand Fat Charley up, almost slipping in the water as I dodged the ornaments on the floor. My husband heard me holler for him and came calmly considering it was the middle of the night (at least for a Sunday morning) and brought in towels and offered to hold the tree while I wiped water and investigated the problem underneath Fat Charley. Once I finally got some water sopped up, I flipped over like a mechanic under a car in order to see the stand and Fat Charleys trunk. You know, I found that Fat Charley has some body image issues, Fat Charley is really skinny. He isn't fat, he is fluffy with long arms. His trunk is so small that all four screws were completely screwed in and two of them were almost touching. He just slipped out! Now he is one of the fattest trees with the skinniest trunks I have ever seen. I don't know what kept a good wind from blowing him right over at his Christmas tree farm, except that he had a purpose to be a Christmas tree for our family as we celebrate Jesus' birth. So we got our Fat Charley up and tied him with strips of fabric to the tree stand so that he would have extra support and hopefully won't fall over again. My husband picked up the ornaments and put them in a basket until morning. I found one that was broken, but I glued it back together. My daughter found Rudolph still hanging on the tree without ears or a tail(we can't find them) but she loves him still.

Fat Charley, like many of us, is not perfect. Fat Charley like us, may look put together with our ornaments and lights shiny and bright, but we may feel like our feet are standing in water and we are going to slip out of our tree stand at any moment. Then we slip, our ornaments and garland fall off or break, and we are covered with the water we slipped in and needles are covering the floor. I can only imagine how humiliating this is for a Christmas tree, it is even worse for us prideful humans. Even though my husband and I were able to pick Fat Charley up off the ground, man can't always fix what is wrong with man,only God can. God can pick up the pieces, He can dust you off, dry you off, straighten your garland, and put your ornaments back together. He will make you a new creation, a person stronger and closer to Him.


Only He can give you a firm foundation that is not dependent upon screws and strips of cloth, He will have you standing on good solid soil!

2 comments from my readers:

Carrie Barron said...

Thanks for sharing your Fat Charley story and giving the analogy.

Blessings,
Carrie

Kate McDonald said...

Hello! You stopped by my blog a few weeks back and I haven't had the chance to visit and say hello until now. I did look up your snowflakes though - thanks for posting them. I like your site..very Christmasy!