Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Smell of Snow

Can you smell it? Can you smell the clean, soft, crisp smell of snow? Do you feel the bite of cold on your nose as you enjoy the cold air filling your senses with winter? I can't! All I have are my memories. I love the smell of snow. There is just nothing else like it in the world! I would always look forward to the first snow of the season. I was always glancing towards the sky and sniffing the air every time I stepped outside, I probably looked like a dog sniffing after a hidden bone at times. I didn't care. As soon as the first hint of snow smell was in the air, I was announcing it like I was some weather expert that everyone needed to hear from. Then I would look for the first snowflake. The clouds would tease me as I paced in front of the window waiting. Then finally, it would fall and more would join that first snowflake. Soon there was a blanket. It seems as if snow is just so quiet. It calms the soul. So peaceful, so quiet, so beautiful, so white, and the smell. Ahhhhhh.

I can't imagine what God must have been thinking when he created snow. Each flake, alone is absolutely gorgeous, and different. The way the ice crystals glimmer if the light hits them just a certain way. The way they feel on your cheeks and tongue when they hit. No wonder it has been said that snowflakes are like kisses from angels. But he had made so many snowflakes over the years, no wonder he has storehouses. (Proverbs 38:22) He has purpose for snow. He says he will even use it in time of battle and war. To think, he has a purpose for snow. Snow that he knew would be beautiful, has a bigger purpose than for our enjoyment of looking at or playing in by flying down a huge hill on a piece of wood or plastic. What joy !!!We can obtain exercise by shoveling it or making a snowman. We can also be foolish with it and get ourselves hurt.

God has purpose for us too. First, through his son Jesus' sacrifice for our sins, He has washed us and we are whiter than snow. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Psalms 51:7 He has purpose for us just like he did each snowflake, and we cover more territory together! May our lives for Christ, blanket the world together like a blanket of snow. May we be the snow that is spreading joy!!!!

Want to cut out some snowflakes. Click on the word Snowflake. We cut out a bunch and Haley wants to write prayers on one, and then our blessings we are thankful for on the others. Her Idea!!!!!

1 comments from my readers:

Kathie said...

You're right, Carmen, there is nothing like the first snow of the season. And snow on Christmas Eve going to or coming from church is the best.