Thursday, November 15, 2007

Did you know that turkeys swim????

My daughter was very excited today. She participated in her very first TURKEY SWIM. Now, I never knew turkeys could swim but then I found out, that it was our kids that were the turkeys. Winner takes home a frozen turkey. Entry fee was a canned food item for Metropolitan Ministries. We watched the little turkeys swim for as long as they could for an hour. I think this was better than trying to catch the frozen turkey in the water like you do a greased watermelon!

I am a proud parent tonight! No, my daughter did not win the frozen turkey but she did succeed. She walked away, after finally climbing out of the pool(she was so tired), a WINNER! She wanted to swim for an hour as many laps as she could, she was not the fastest or best. In fact, she had the least experience in her age group. She swam like a champ, she perservered. I gave her several chances to get out, but she just said, "I am going to go on!"

Haley is in stroke school. She isn't on the team yet. She and her friend Valerie, who just finished stroke school, were the only ones that were not on the team. Both of them swam together and encouraged each other along the way. How wonderful is that? They knew they were not able to compete with the girls on the team but they did their best! Isn't that what parents expect from their children, their best? Haley and Valerie both swam 30 laps-that is a 1500! Wow! They got a ticket for ice-cream and a button that said "I survived the turkey swim." Haley can't wait to wear her button to school tomorrow.

As I write this, I think, isn't that what God expects from us, our best? Paul talks of running the race several times. "Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."1 Corinthians 9:24b-25NIV So though Haley's turkey swim button will not last, I think that encouraging words to friend is a great step in running the race for Christ and supporting and encouraging our friends in tough times will count towards the crown that will last forever!

1 comments from my readers:

Kathie said...

Carmen, I'm enjoying your blog very much. Thanks for sharing!