Saturday, July 26, 2008

Flags, Flags, Flags

Have you ever had moments when you walk around the corner and just catch yourself catching your breath as you swell up with a patriotic love and pride for your country? Well, I kept having those when I was on vacation in Savannah and at Fort Sumter! It was so cool. We didn't get to make it there for the 4th of July like we had originally planned, but we didn't have to! We didn't get to see fireworks in these historic places, but we got to hear the flags beating in the wind on the hill of Fort Sumter. A very cool moment, indeed!


We saw the flags that actually flew over the fort during the battles. This was the Union flag, it got knocked down and you can see the nail holes in it where they nailed it back up.This was the first Confederate flag. Looks a little different from the final flag. But this flew during battle when they ruled the fort. These flags are looking a little threadbare, huh?

We saw flags in Savannah. I came around a corner and saw this row of homes all dressed up in American glory and I got goose bumps! Love it! Can you see all the flags? Can you see the steeple in the background?


This flag hangs on City Hall, which is over 100 years old. I craned my neck as I snapped this picture. It was so big!


This flag flew at the Wilke's House where we had that yummy Southern meal. It was neat to stand there, chatting with other Americans in that beautiful neighborhood of homes, under a flag that stands for our freedom!


Even the yard fowl were in the mood for some American pride!


"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea, Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free, Let us all be grateful for a land so fair, As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. " God Bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her, and guide her Thru the night with a light from above. From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam God bless America, My home sweet home.

0 comments from my readers: