Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Elvis

I got an iPod nano for Christmas. I am really enjoying it and I think I have a little bit of everything on it. I even have some Elvis! My husband had brought me home an Elvis gospel collection CD about a year ago. I did a little rip/synch and now I can listen to Elvis on my very own iPod. I wonder what Elvis would have thought of the iPod?

Elvis' birthday was yesterday, I got to thinking about how his life was so changed by fame and fortune. I saw an interview on TV last night that was done right before he got famous, he was just getting his feet wet and about to blow the top off. He said that he didn't smoke, he didn't drink, and although he wasn't in love and did not have a girlfriend he was looking forward to finding someone, that no matter where he was, he wouldn't feel lonely. He wanted a home, a family-that he would never leave.

Then he got famous, and not just any famous, he was ELVIS. He was placed on such a throne of popularity that many women and probably men too, worshipped him. He recorded several gospel albums, and was supposedly saved. I hope so, I think that he must of gotten so mixed up in the fame and fortune that Satan had a really good time with him. Rolling Stone wrote: "Gospel pervaded Elvis' character and was a defining and enduring influence all of his days."[22] During breaks at recording sessions or after concerts, Presley often joined in private with others for informal gospel music sessions.[23]

I wonder how much of a witness he really was. He made an impression with Rolling Stone, he must have made an impression with the guys he was playing with in those informal gospel music sessions. I bet that was a way God kept calling to Elvis, the draw to play in those impromptu sessions. It was Elvis' little grasp of Jesus in the midst of the madness of fame that he could not stop.

He certainly ruined his life with a list that is too long to name, and fell short of the plans that God must have had for him.Yet we still remember that with all the sin, we think he loved God. At least I do. I kinda hope God just took him home early since he made such a mess out of his life.

It makes me really think we should be careful, be accountable, and pray for those in the celebrity positions. When I asked my daughter who she wanted to pray for she said, "Brittany Spears and Lindsay Lohan" -Out of the mouths of babes! I am going to try to do that this year. Instead of passing judgement or shaking my head, I will pray. Those people are in a crazy mixed up world; some are adults, some are children.

Join with me this year to pray for those who you know need it in Hollywood -God sees them just as people, not movie or music stars. He knew them before He formed them in their mother's womb.

Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing. Psalm 146:3-4

1 comments from my readers:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmen,



How are you?

I visited your blog today and really lovedthe stories you put on there.

I also got my first Ipod this Christmas too.



And I can’t believe your story aboutyour accident! I’m so glad you were not hurt!

Thanks for sharing such inspiring storiesabout your life and your thoughts.

Maybe I’ll start a blog like yours too.

Take care,

Angie