Monday, April 20, 2009

Tears and Hope

I have been thinking much about time and loved ones recently. Memories of loved ones are crowding my mind as I remember the time that I spent with them. I have come to discover how much their personality's have shaped my own. I have discovered how much I miss the presence of their laughter and humor in the day to day of my life. Things are just never the same.

Mary and Martha's lives changed when they knew Lazarus lay sick and dying. Their dear brother was suffering and they wanted Jesus to heal him, but he was away. Their hearts were breaking. Memories swept through their minds as they wept. Thoughts of memories never to be surely flashed by as well. Lazarus died as his family wept for him and for themselves. Their hearts broke.

Jesus knew that Lazarus had died and he knew what he was going to do about it. He went to the grave 4 days after Lazarus had been there. Jesus wept with Lazarus' family and then preceded to tell Lazarus to come out.

Lazarus lived again, yet his life was changed.

Mary and Martha would never be the same.

Those who witnessed it were changed and made choices because of it. Some placed their faith in Jesus, others reported his deed to the Pharisees who in turn met with the Sanhedrin. A plot to kill Jesus had begun.

Lazarus lived, but Jesus would die. Jesus would overcome death, rising on the 3rd day, so that each and everyone of us would live again and things would never be the same again.


We so want our loved ones not to suffer, but yet we don't want to part with them either. It is a strange mix of emotions as you sit and weep for a loved one as they pass from this earthly world. We long for them to be their old self, yet it can never happen in this world. As much as we want it, things will never be the same and we can only hope.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain...
Revelation 21:4

0 comments from my readers: