Saturday, July 12, 2008

Stairs, stairs, stairs

We had the chance to climb all sorts of stairs in Savannah. The stairs include all sorts of nooks and crannies, sort of like Thomas' English Muffins. The history that has occurred and those people who have stood on them and near them just sends shivers up my spine!

The stairs were everywhere. Some curved on both sides of a recessed landing like the one below. Arms of southern hospitality. I was on a horse buggy when I took this picture, so I didn't get both arms, but they are there. The age and the patina of the stairs throughout the city just amazed me.

I love wrought iron and red brick, and it was in Savannah like I have only dreamed about. I particularly loved this staircase below, it is covered in all the pretty greens plants that are lovingly cared for by this home's owner.

On River street, you had to take stairs to get into the second floor shops. They were often festively decorated. Charming.

We climbed up these old stone stairs from River street to a park above. These are built really close to what they believe was an Indian burial mound. They were really steep. But beautiful.


We climbed these stairs and descended them several times. They were off Bay street and led down to River St. I thought I had lost BubbaLou once when she stumbled. Scared me half to death!
Almost every house had stairs of some sort of other. Mums asked me if it was wheel-chair accessible. You know, I wasn't able to say that it was. I really didn't pay attention, but it seemed like for the most part, down on River St., that would be awful hard to imagine. It was full of cobblestones and uneven pavement. We certainly had to watch our footing!

0 comments from my readers: