Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A stained glass beauty

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was open for any one that wanted to enter and see that the inside was just as beautiful as the outside.



We definitely wanted to see the inside, so in we went, camera in hand. We were struck with a feeling of awe and reverence as we came into this church. You could not look anywhere and not see art of some sort or another created to glorify our Lord.

It was truly worth stopping for.

There was stain glass everywhere. I was having trouble getting get pictures of it, but I finally used a longer exposure and got several pics.


The detail and colors were fantastic, you could just sit and stare at it for very long periods of time. Of course it left you in a very contemplative and prayerful mood.




I have very fond memories of the stain glass in my own church growing up. I got married in front of that stain glass in our chapel, and am sorry that the building has been removed. I wonder what they did with the stain glass.

I also remember the stain glass of Jesus over the baptistery in the newer building. I would stare at that stain glass through who knows how many sermons. I think it easier to pray sometimes that way.

I think that if I lived in Savannah, I would have to come visit this church every so often. I want to hear the organ that go with these pipes.

This was a good chance to tell BubbaLou about other churches. She was a bit overwhelmed.

We won't mention the holy water incident. She is Baptist, not Catholic, she didn't know. When Baptist see water, they think immersion.....It was only her hands. I should have been watching, but Popsaroo saw this one and he well, freaked out. He told me and I pulled her to the side and whispered in her ear, and all was well. Jesus loves the little children.

Did I tell you that we met a nun as we were entering the sanctuary, we did. She asked us if there were any public bathrooms. Hmmm. I would have thought she would have had a free pass to find a bathroom anywhere in that building.

I wish I could have gotten pics of all the glass. But it was all around! I took a little video, but my skills are not so good, and you may get dizzy, but I will post it anyway. BubbaLou also had questions about the candles. At least she asked me this time, I had to put the camera up to answer her questions. She has a habit of sticking her finger in the wax. This was top priority so that interdenominational relations would not be placed into turmoil!


Luke 18:16
but Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the children come to me and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

1 comments from my readers:

Anonymous said...

Just when are you going to tell me about the Holy water incident. Sounds intriguing (well, I can't spell that word). Mums