Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dogs and Bacon

My dog is crazy, or is it me? I am not really sure anymore. Thomas, my dog, is a good dog, but if something is in his sight that he is interested in, all is lost, he will chase it, run to it, eat it, or throw it about in the air. The only way to even get his attention is to use his shock collar. Now don't get upset, he doesn't need a shock, he needs a beep. I push a button and he hears a beep and that is all he needs to obey. The batteries are dead.
I planned to take the dog and put him on his lead under the big tree in the yard. My dog planned to go play with his friends across the street. I don't mind him playing with the dogs, but the street is busy and I fear for his life. The dog doesn't know how to cross the street without being a moving target for cars. His dog friends across the street know how to cross the street, believe it or not, they stop, look, and listen. So off Thomas goes, across the street, and of course it is also a nature preserve with a locked gate. He is off and running. He won't come. I call and call. He looks back, turns and runs in the other direction. I tap on the gate with the leash hook. I call, I threaten, and all I see is the dust he left behind and I can hear dogs laughing at the idiot person at the gate. I wait. He doesn't come. Now, normally I would just go on about my business, but I just know if I turn my back he will be run over, flat as a pancake with all the traffic speeding by. The people driving by must wonder why I am standing at this gate like an idiot.
I have an idea, I will get Haley's whistle and blow it, maybe he will come. He did come to the gate with another dog, but he didn't come out. He looked at me and trotted off, left the other dog to gaurd the gate while he played. Great. What else can I do? I know, bacon! I cooked some bacon and went to the driveway with the leash in hand and stood there, he wouldn't come to even see I had bacon. So, I got in the car and drove across the street, thinking the dog would bark and all the other dogs would come running. Nope, he just looked at me with his big blue eyes and remained silent. Thanks for nothing! I went back home. They noticed when I was out of sight. Thomas came back to the fence, and was about to take off again, and I go running out of the house calling sweet as could be, "Thomas, bacon! I have bacon, don't you want some?" I acted like I was eating some, and you know, the dog came. Just as excited as could be, he wanted the bacon. I led him to the lead under the tree, hooked him up, and walla, Thomas got a mouth full of bacon. Silly dog!

2 comments from my readers:

Anonymous said...

PUPPIES & BACON
I have six dogs to share my life with right now. Oh yeah, and my husband. Our Sunday morning routine is planned as relaxing as can be. Our two inside dogs wake us up at the crack of dawn. 110 plus pounds of puppy smelling, wiggle-tail shakin', furry faced morning sunshine trying anxously hard not to bark and shout "I HAVE TO PEE!!! GET UP!!"
We roll ourselves out of bed and take them for a walk around the large front yard. My 80 pound youngest pup, Roxie (Shepard-Spoiled-Brat mix), has to go to the end of the driveway with me to get the newspaper. She won't pick it up. She can, she just refuses. Why should she carry it all the way to the house when she's got me to do it? We come back inside and gather up the other four pups from outside. Three girls and one old man. Two of the girls, Teve and Sadie (White Shepard Mix), run around the house picking up toys from the toy baskets and hording toys from each other when they look away. I come to the couch and find Sadie with a pile of stuffed animals gathered around her. The other gilr, Momma-Dog (White Shepard) sits patiently in the corner waiting for the treat. She's smart. While they get settled, I cook breakfast for my husband, myself I and the puppies. I call them all puppies even though they are all adult age. My husband and I get Eggos or scrambled eggs, something quick. The puppies get a pound of bacon to share. Usually the old man, Tubby (a Shepard-Chow-Scaredy cat) hangs out in the kitchen watching. My Aussie Cattle Dog, Emma sits underfoot in case I am clumsy; which she has found first hand does occur from time to time.
When the bacon is done my husband and I synchronize handing out the bacon with the six of them sitting very pretty and snapping like piranha. When the bacon is all gone they circle around sniffing each other's faces. I'm sure they are checking to see if someone else got more than the other.
I know that this is spoiling my puppies and probably is not very healthy, but it makes for a great beginning to the week for all of us.

Carmen said...

We try to be healthy in our house, we eat turkey bacon. Thomas doesn't care, he loves it!